- Name: Nick Smarto
- Nationality: United States, Italy
- Location: Beautiful Pittsburgh, PA
- Phone: 724-689-2577
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thriving in fast-paced environments, I've spent the bulk of my career keeping interdisciplinary teams on the same page by leveraging my technical expertise and business acumen. I'm obsessed with numbers, and take pride finding patterns and trends where others see random data. Compulsively creative and relentlessly restless, I manage programs, projects, and events with keen awareness to the needs of broad sets of stakeholders.
I began my career in the engineering realm, and quickly evolved to tackle multi-million dollar initiatives. Most recently, I've launched an around-the-clock support team at Google to enable >$2B in annual advertising budget to be spent with confidence by our key partners. On the side, I maintain a vivid list of side projects, including professional photography, event production, music festival digital marketing management, and RV'ing around the country.
May 2013 - Present
Google, Channel Intelligence
Managing programs and projects in the digital shopping domain, I have focused on building a support team from the ground up that services >100 top-spending accounts including Wal-Mart, Victoria's Secret, Best Buy and beyond. My team of 35+ support agents provides 24/7 support for major retailers and is dedicated to product feed curation, retail data optimization, reactive support, and technical account management. By maintaining lean processes, effective quality frameworks, and superior team training, we continue to increase the size and scope of our $2B business. Your Cyber Monday is my Super Bowl.
- End-to-end support management, including forecasting, utilization management, capacity planning, and vendorization.
- Deep metrics and insights around cost-to-serve, client spending habits, resource allocation, and case volumes.
- Designing product enhancements, reducing system-generated alerts, training interdisciplinary teams.
- Fully vendor-backed support team deployed, with >95% SLA and >99% quality during critical shopping periods.
July 2011 - May 2013
Sales Application Engineer
Siemens Industry, Inc. Drive Technologies
Technical sales position, designing multi-million dollar solutions for industrial customers. Specialized in Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) systems and AC motors in excess of 50,000 HP. Ushered customers through the sales cycle through diligent application engineering, finding technical solutions to complex engineering problems, and providing sales support for >$50M in annual engineered product sales.
- Managed a multi-year frame agreement worth $10M for the largest petrochemical facility in the world in Saudi Arabia.
- System integration, quotation management, specification review, and client communication for large-scale industrial installation.
- Responsible for individual project P&L, with a strong history of uncovering cost-savings for company and customer alike.
October 2009 - June 2011
Business Development Application Engineer
Elliott Group, Engineered Products
Oversaw software development efforts to produce internal and external tools dedicated to estimating the price, cost, and manufacturability of enormous turbomachinary. Worked with software development contractors to produce robust pricing tools, quotation generation software, cost models and beyond.
- Developed quotation tool that estimated the costs of multi-million dollar turbomachinary within 2.5% accuracy.
- Designed pricing software to estimate market price and margins for complex industrial projects.
- Created complex algorithms to evaluate the manufacturability for large-frame steam turbines and compressors up to 70,000 horsepower.
September 2009 - October 2009
GAI Consultants, Contract Position
Short contract position, providing engineering support and drawings markups for Gen 3+ nuclear power plants. I combed over drawings with a fine-toothed comb to spot inconsistencies that failed to be captured during the design revision process.
- Reviewed design modification proposals for the Westinghouse AP1000 nuclear reactor, the first Generation III+ reactor to receive final design approval from the NRC.
- Revised technical drawings to synchronize engineering design departments and technical documentation control departments
- Modified internal documentation to ensure compliance with Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) standards and practices.
February 2009 - September 2009
Mechanical Design Engineer
Daedalus Product Development
Starting as an internship and evolving in to a full-time gig, I flexed my mechanical engineering muscles by designing, prototyping, and fabricating an array of specialty consumer devices. With lots of hands on experience, rigorous 3D modeling, and truly wise engineering mentors, I landed out of undergrad on my feet.
- Designed and tested components and assemblies for the medical and mine safety industries.
- Validated product designs using Finite Element Analysis (FEA) in both SolidWorks and ProEngineer packages.
- Keystone project: building a shopping-cart sized chiller/intercooler for veterinary purposes.
Tepper School of Business (Carnegie Mellon)
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Concentrations in Strategy, Entrepreneurship, and Technology Leadership.
2005 - 2009
Carnegie Mellon University
BS Mechanical Engineering
Deans List. Academic projects included lunar wheel development for Astrobotic Inc.
Partner Operations Manager @ Google
"Nick not only is a pleasure to work but he is a great leader across both internal and external initiatives. Nick is an excellent problem solver, creative thinker, and great communicator and is always willing to help out other team members. Nick's wealth of technical knowledge and upbeat personality makes him a great asset to any organization."
Operational Auditor @ Siemens
"Nick Smarto has the valuable combination of technical engineering expertise along with high financial aptitude. I witnessed on multiple occasions Nick coming up with innovative solutions to difficult customer challenges and negotiating commercial agreements beneficial to both the organization and its customers. In addition to being highly talented, Nick also has great interpersonal skills. He is the type of person that others gravitate to, and he used this charisma to form valuable business relationships throughout our organization. I’m sure that whatever Nick pursues in his career, he will be extremely successful, and any organizations that choose to invest in Nick will see substantial benefits."
SQL, advanced Excel (VBA), MATLAB. If there is a trend in a dataset, I will show it no mercy.
Photo-realistic rendering, manufacturing tolerance design, complex assemblies with multiple degrees of freedom. The works.
System specification, integration, and applications engineering for industrial and information technology products.
Not just making memes. Professional photographer with high-level retouching and editing experience.
Lighting design in theatrical and concert environments. Automated fixture programming and time-coding.
I've managed teams of implementation and support vendors, international and domestic, with 24/7 support experience.
Paid my way through undergrad with a wedding photography business, and still shoot actively.
From concept to launch and beyond, I've managed software development, event production, and business development projects.
I'm always excited to hear about opportunities for new side projects, wilderness adventures, or even new career paths.
Feel free to reach out!
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Tel: +1 724 689 2577
This will be replaced with the Google Map.